What Is a Sinus Infection? — AMITA Health Medical Group



Get treated for sinus infection symptoms by an AMITA Health primary care doctor near you: https://www.amitahealth.org/medical-group/primary/family-medicine

Katherine Racanelli, an AMITA Health Medical Group doctor of nursing practice (DNP) based in Hinsdale, explains the symptoms and treatment options for sinusitis, a condition more popularly known as a sinus infection.

WHAT IS SINUSITIS?
Sinusitis is an inflammation of the sinus cavities. Roughly 98 percent of such infections are viral infections. The other 2 percent are bacterial infections that require antibiotics. People with allergies tend to be more prone to developing sinusitis, since their cavities are already inflamed.

SINUS INFECTION SYMPTOMS
* Headache
* Runny nose
* Coughing
* Post-nasal drip
* Facial pain
* Fever

If these symptoms last longer than five days, see a healthcare provider. Otherwise, the infection could become bacterial and require antibiotics.

SINUS INFECTION TREATMENTS
At-home measures include humidifiers, nasal rinses such as neti pots, topical nasal corticosteroids such as Flonase® and anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen. More serious cases might receive first- and second-line antibiotics. If antibiotics do not address the problem, the patient might have a sinus tract abnormality and would be referred to an ear, nose and throat specialist (otolaryngologist) for possible surgery. If the infection travels past the sinus cavity and into the bone, IV antibiotics and surgical intervention might both be necessary.

Call 855.MyAMITA (692.6482) to schedule an appointment today.

Find an AMITA Health primary care physician near you: https://www.amitahealth.org/doctor

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/AMITAHealth/
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AMITAHealth
YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/c/AMITAhealthorg
PINTEREST: https://www.pinterest.com/AMITAHealth/
INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/AMITAHealth/
AMITA HEALTH BLOG: https://www.amitahealth.org/blog/

source

Author: design

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *